GX6 Installation Guide
What you will need
- Your Rand McNally GX6 device.
- The provided Y harness.
- Zip ties, double sided velcro, and/or screws to secure harness and device.
- A mobile device with the Rand McNally Manager app installed and access to the Installer portal (or web app).
- Before installation, please ensure your vehicle or asset ignition is switched off and asset is parked outside on a level surface with a clear view of the sky.
Step 1: Locate the diagnostic port in your vehicle
- Locate the vehicle’s OBD (vehicle diagnostic port). It is usually under the steering column on the driver side of the vehicle. On some vehicle models, you may need to remove a covering panel.
- The OBD port is usually a white, pink, or blue port with multiple pins.
- Locate the diagnostic port on the truck. It is usually located near the pedals, under the steering column, under the driver’s seat, or near the fuse box. On some vehicle models, you may need to remove a covering panel.
- The 9-Pin port is usually black, gray, or green.
Step 2: Connect the Y harness to the diagnostic port
Your Y harness keeps your device secure and out of view whilst also allowing mechanics to continue to have access to the diagnostic port.
The harness has three connectors:
A: Female connector that connects to the diagnostic port of the vehicle.
B: Male connector that replaces the current vehicle diagnostic port and keeps it accessible.
C: Male connector that connects to the device. The longer side of the harness.
Follow these steps to connect the harness:
1. Remove the vehicle’s diagnostic port connector from behind. If necessary, remove it from the connector plate.
2. Connect harness connector A to the vehicle’s diagnostic port.
3. Insert harness connector B into the back of the diagnostic port connector plate. For a secure connection the port will either click into place or be secured with screws. The B connector replaces the standard diagnostic port connector, once connected it will look like the port has not been used or modified.
Step 3: Install antenna (external antenna only), plug device into the Y harness, and check lights
1. Before connecting your device, take a photo of the label/barcode on the device clearly showing the Device ID number. This will be needed in step 6.
2. (External antenna only) Install the external antenna on a flat surface with a clear, unobstructed view of the sky. An ideal location is in the corner of the dashboard as illustrated in the picture to the right.
3. (External antenna only) Run the antenna cable to the device installation location. Attach the antenna cable to the device by screwing the GPS cable into the GPS port and the LTE into the LTE port.
4. Plug the connector C of the cable into the device. Make sure it is firmly seated into the connector.
5. The device should now power up and the LEDs will begin to flash as the device establishes its GPS, server, and cell connections.
6. Once the LED light sequences indicate a GPS fix, a cellular connection, and constant power (as defined in the table to the right) you are ready to proceed.
- If your device LEDs are displaying something different, refer to the full LED definitions or contact support.
Step 4: Activating the device on Rand Platform
- Log into the Rand McNally Manager app (the web application can also be used) and navigate to the Installer Portal v2 under the Tools menu.
- Enter the device ID (IMEI or ESN located under the barcode) into the search bar and click ‘GO.’
- Click on the device to open the device details screen.
- Select your installation option;
- Link to Existing Asset → Search by the Asset Label or Registration to select the Asset you want to install the Device into.
- Create a New Asset.
- Fill out the asset information;
- Label (Mandatory) – This is your asset’s name on the platform (e.g. Vehicle identifier/asset number, nickname, registration, etc.). If you select Link to Existing Asset, the Assets current label will display in this field.
- Group – Select the Group to assign the Asset to. The default group is “All Assets” when creating a new Asset. If you select Link to Existing Asset, the Group the Existing Asset is currently assigned to will display in this field. Learn more about Groups.
- Fuel Type – Select the Fuel Type of the Asset (this field will only display for Telematics device types that can capture fuel data).
- Rego – Asset registration (Licence plate number).
- ODO – Current odometer reading of the Asset (relevant for vehicles).
- Runtime – Current Engine hours (relevant for plant equipment and off-road equipment).
- Installer – The name of the person installing the device.
- Installation Location – The geographic location where the installation was completed (e.g. street address, depot/terminal name, etc.)
- Start vehicle ignition and idle the vehicle.
- Confirm device activation using the device health field to check its current status.
- Not Deployed: Click the refresh button to run the device online check. Give the device several minutes to come online.
- Online: The device is activated, and you can proceed to the next step.
- To complete the installation, click the Complete Install button.
Note: The Complete Install button will only be active to select once you have entered an Asset Label.
- You will be displayed a Success dialogue.
- Close the dialogue by selecting OK.
- The Device page will reload; you will see the linked asset details and an Uninstall button.
- You will be displayed a Success dialogue.
Step 5: Securing the Device
To ensure the device produces accurate data, it’s important to make sure the device is secure and will not move around.
- Locate a suitable, safe, and firm mounting location, away from any pedals or moving parts. It must be rigid e.g. the chassis or a framing bracket.
- Securely fasten the device using one of the two installation options described on the next page.
- Ensure the sticker side of the device faces away from your mounting point (ensure label is visible).
- Test to make sure it will not wiggle or move. This will help to ensure data quality and prevent false event triggers.
The GX6 product offers two types of installation methods:
Option 1: Snap-On installation
All GX6 units come with a snap-on tray for easy installation and removal.
- Locate a flat surface in the vehicle and away from electronics and wiring
- Place the tray on the surface
- Secure the tray with 4 M4 screws
4. Snap the GX6 into the tray
5. (External antenna only) Attach the antenna cables
6. Install the wire
Option 2: Zip-tie Installation
There are 4 Zip-tie through holes on each side of the GX6.
- Pass Zip-ties through the holes
2. Secure the unit in the vehicle
3. (External antenna only) Attach the antenna cables
4. Install the wire
Step 6: Document and complete your install
After the device is securely mounted, please provide images of the installation. You will be able to view these later and they will aid with future support and troubleshooting.
- Use your mobile device to take photos of:
- The device’s label/barcode showing the device ID and IMEI
- The securely mounted device
- Vehicle’s VIN plate
- Vehicle dashboard clearly showing the ODO reading
- Vehicle license plate
- Return to the Rand McNally installer portal on your mobile device.
- Return to the device detail screen
- Select the ‘Docs’ tab at the bottom of the screen
- Select ‘Choose file’ which will open the file browser/camera roll on your device
- Select the images from your camera roll/photo library and upload
- Click the complete install button to finalize the installation process.